mardi 26 avril 2011

Having a child with UHS

Hello folks! My name is Chris and I'm a 34 yr old father that has a 3 yr old beautifull gril who has Uncombable hair syndrome (UHS). I am starting this blog with hope to reach out to other parents who are dealing with the same problems as us. I wish to give other parents information and some tricks my wife and I found while dealing with UHS.

Our child's name is Leanne. She was born in january of 2008. A couple weeks after her birth, we knew somthing was "up" with her hair. It was shinny and truly golden. We could do nothing with it! It was completly umcombable. Forget putting her to sleep with damp hair. If we did, she would wake up with a 1980's Cindy Lopper hair cut that would resist any effort that we'd put into getting her hair back to order. One weekend while visiting a doctor freind, she gave us a prescription to go and check out our childs nails and hair. She said "You should get her hair checked out".

When we got to the childens hospital, all the dermatologits were huddled around Leanne. They were like "wow... UHS... rare..." I asked them: is this cool or is this bad... they said neither but they said it was rare.

UHS is a rare condition. No internet site I have consulted has indications on the incidence of the syndrome. A lot of very scientific information is available on the net. Basicaly, the hair insted of beeing round is trianguler. Light reflects differenty off this hair type giving the aspect of beeing golden. Also, any parent with a kid that has this will tell how water just trickles off the hair. Making UHS hair wet is pretty tough!

I some futher posts i'd like to adress the questions of Shampoo's and conditionners that can help. Also I want to discuss the question of how other people look at our children and who their judgment can affect them. If this blog takes off (I hope) we could also share some photos (that are prety rare on the net) of our childs hair and some stories.

Hope to see you soon!
PS: sorry for my poor English, my native language is different!

3 commentaires:

  1. Hello Chris! My name is Anu and I'm from Finland. I'm very excited finding this blog of yours. I have the UHS myself and I'm now 30 years old. Just today I came up with an idea to google this syndrome for the first time. I've spend all day trying to find anything else than the scientific information and now I found you!
    I'm interested of finding others who have the syndrome. As a child I had a lot of attention because of my hair and many people, old neighbours etc. still recognice me because of it. My hair got more normal since I grew up, but still it's very frizzy and I can't imagine cutting it short, it might stick up again. Just better keep it long... I've always been proud of my hair, because it's special (and all my friends have always been jealous of it).
    Only sometimes I'm sad that it's not easy to do my hair and make it look "nice". Also that I haven't had a possibility to try different haircuts. :) I wouldn't change it to anything though.
    I have two children, but they didn't get the syndrome. My younger child is 2 years now and his hair is very light coloured and a little frizzy kind, but nothing like I've had.
    I'd love to see some photos of your daughter and I can send you mine's. :)

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. /Hi Anu! What a great read! I'm so happy to have you as one of our readers! I've been so occupied these past months that i've not found time to update our blog!  Come talk to, me and other parents with UHS children on facebook! Do a search on "uncombable hair syndrome" and we are the groupe. We are three members strong! We have photos of our little "uncombable" kids

    http://www.facebook.com/groups/217610418250598

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Hello, I was so happy to find your blog. Is your blog still active? Today is May 9th 2013 and I would love to share my daughters story. Hope to hear from you. Thank you, M

    RépondreSupprimer